Why Interview Should Be Your Top Priority in Preparing for Your Next Pageant

When I had my first pageant mom experience, I was green to everything. Even though I had what I thought to be massive amounts of 'pageant-ing' researching under my belt, it didn't prepare me enough for some of the things I encountered once we got there. Looking back at some of those old photos, I chuckle because I would NEVER choose any of the hair, make-up and wardrobe selections we went with at that first pageant in a million years. I will admit, my daughter looked a hot mess. The irony of this is, that we'd spend so many endless hours toiling over what to wear, hair, make-up, shoes, etc., that we neglected the most important part of the competition all together: interview.



It's been said that the competition is won in the interview room. I believe this wholeheartedly! From experience, once interview becomes the main focus of your pageant prep, that's when you begin to see higher scores and higher placements. Here are my tips on things to keep in mind when preparing for interview:

1. Attire: First impressions are crucial! Hair and makeup should not distract from the contestant's true beauty. She should have on an outfit that makes her look like a title holder--very well put together, detailed from head to toe. A great first impression can take you a long way.




2. Confidence. This goes without saying, but there is a lot a girl can do to convey a confident person. Smile, greet the judge(s), keep constant eye contact, speak loud and clear. All of these things signal a confident person. For some, these skills may not be as easy, so it may be helpful to integrate those things into your practice routine.



3. Conversation. Think of the interview as a conversation instead of an interview. Judges want to see a real person, not a scripted robot. So, when the judge asks: "What's your favorite color?" An average interviewer would respond: " My favorite color is blue because it reminds me of how peaceful the sky is." The End. An above average interviewer would stretch this response out to include a personal story or connection to the response she gave, giving the judge more insight as to who the contestant is as a person.

4, Service: Focus on what you have done in your community to help and serve others. Learn how to communicate this to others. Since the judges are looking for a title holder who's actively involved in her community, how else will they know unless it's discussed in the interview?




5. Personality. Personality is key, so it's okay to laugh, tell funny stories, show who you really are. Don't be so serious, and just have fun with it. Know who you are and know how to let other people know who you are as well, in as little as 60 seconds--with a smile!

Interview is the most important phase of competition. Start early, and practice often. The hard work will pay off!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

7 "Rules" on Wearing Your Crown and Sash

How to Get Your Daughter Ready for a NAM Open Call

Score Higher in Casual Wear Modeling With These Tips